domingo, 15 de abril de 2007

Unit 3: Finding a Job




Starting this unit, we were told to look for a job on the Internet, and then write a resume and a cover letter to apply for that job.

When I began the job hunting, I got pleasantly surprised to see an opening for a bilingual Software Engineer in Nintendo of America, here's what I typed for my impressions in the unit:

For many, finding a job is without a doubt a long experience full of disappointments and with few asserts. We can see unemployed people desperately trying to get a job so they can put food on the table, at times in charges below or unrelated to their studies; and few of them are lucky enough to find a chance in a job they dreamed of. Fortunately for me, the latter was my case; my dream is to work for Nintendo, and when I began the search first thing that appeared on the job listing was an opening for a bilingual software engineer in Nintendo of America. When reading the requirements for the job, I found out that the academic profile fits well with the one of my career and that my Japanese studies were giving me higher chances for that job, since it explicitly states that they need an engineer who is fluent enough with both English and Japanese; then I imagined what would my skills be after graduating, and wrote both my resume and cover letter as if I had those skills I intend to develop by the time I get my engineering degree, with the help of 2 sample models.

At the end of the day, the experience of finding a job, writing the resume and cover letter for that job while still being a student was an enlightening experience, not only did I confirm the reasons why I decided to pick the career I'm studying, I also confirmed that my studies in the Japanese language will become more than a hobby and learned that finding and applying for the job I dream for isn't as traumatic as other people make it look like.

Checked by: Jesús Castellano and Rafael Díaz


This is what I prepared for my cover letter (the original Word document looks more neat :P):

Christian Meier 058**********

-ADDRESS REMOVED-, Maracaibo, Zulia, ZIP 4002 maracunator@gmail.com

Objective
To achieve my dream of working in the videogame industry as an Engineer in the ranks of Nintendo.

Professional Profile

Informatics Engineer graduated in URBE, looking for a job in the Videogame Industry.

  • Programming skills with Java, C++ and Visual Basic.
  • Skilled in the 3D Graphic design and implementation area
  • Experienced in providing software-related solutions to users.
  • Experienced in developing and finishing projects by teamwork.
  • High technical writing skills.
  • High skills with the English language.
  • Skilled with the Japanese language.
  • Highly interested in the world of videogames.


Work History

Computer Lab. Assistant

URBE, Maracaibo, Zulia

From September 19th, 2006 until graduation


Education

Undergraduate Degree on Informatics Engineering

URBE, Maracaibo, Zulia

January 2009


References
References are available upon request.




For last but not least, the cover letter:

Christian Meier
-ADDRESS REMOVED-

Maracaibo
, Venezuela

February 20th, 2009



Mr. Howard Lincoln
Hiring Manager
Nintendo of America Inc.
PO Box 957

Redmond, WA 98073

Dear Mr. Lincoln:

I understand from your listing on Monster.com you are in the market for a bilingual software engineer with a minimum of one year of experience. I am one who qualifies. I earned my Engineer degree from Rafael Belloso Chacín University (URBE) and I have designed and tested software for Computer Systems in
Maracaibo, Zulia. I also served as computer lab, assistant for 3 years there.

My specialty is designing software interactions with users. I am a committed employee with the ability to work as a team member, to lead and to follow, depending on the situation and responsibilities assigned to me.

My experience with the English language dates back from my Kindergarten Education, developed through basic, middle and superior education levels, and has been certified by Yazigi and URBE in years 2000 and 2007 respectively.

My experience with the Japanese language dates from year 2004 in Simón Bolívar University, and has developed through the courses I had in the before mentioned university and in the Japanese School of Maracaibo, and has been certified by the Japanese Society of Maracaibo.

Would you like to meet to talk over this job? I'd enjoy speaking with you in person. Please call me on my cell phone: 058-***-******* to set up an interview at your convenience. Thank you for considering me for this opening and for reading my cover letter and resume.

Sincerely,


Christian Meier


Got to admit, this unit is definitely my favorite one, and it made me feel closer into my way to reach my dream.

EDITION NOTE: Real address and phone numbers were removed from the original post for safety reasons.

-Christian

1 comentario:

Nigiri dijo...

I wish that you will reach your dream to work at Nintendo Enterprise!

I had that dream too, but i decided to focus on another way to reach it ^^